I spent last week in Texas. While I was there, I wanted to make sure I tried my best to find a good field of the Texas state flower, the bluebonnet. These flowers could be found most everywhere along the roadside, especially so the farther you drive away from a city, however for the area I was in finding a really large field full of flowers proved to be a challenge. After doing a little research, I was able to locate one field that was the best of any I found in the short time I was out there.
The only problem was it was not too far from the main highway, so when I got there, 40 of my closet friends were there already. Many of them there to take children's portraits in the flowers, or family portraits in the flowers...one photographer had a couple pull their truck out in the field of flowers to pose with the truck for engagement photos. So I spent a lot of time waiting on these people to move or working around them.
Now, I think a field of bluebonnets is a pretty awesome sight, but when making a photo I like to add something in the foreground as a bit of an anchor. It doesn't have to be anything really special. In this case I used the only handful of Indian Paintbrush Wildflowers that were in this field. I thought the contrast of the red flowers helped to anchor the foreground a bit and also adds a bit of a leading line to the rest of the field of blue.
It was very windy during this particular sunset, so I had to bump my ISO up to get a high enough shutter speed to "freeze" the flowers, so I bumped it up to ISO 1600. I shot this scene in aperture priority at F/16 in order to get the nice starburst. That yielded me a shutter speed of 1/30th. While that isn't a "fast" shutter speed, if I waited until the wind slowed a bit, it was fast enough.
This image was made using my Sony A7R II, Metabones lens adapter and Tamron 15-30mm Lens. I also used my Sirui W-2204 Tripod and K-20 Ballhead. I took this tripod because it is super stable and small enough to fold up in my carry on luggage. It worked out great!
I also processed this image using Lightroom and On1 Effects.
Warning: More flower images coming soon.